- Whole Turkey (M) 15-18 lbs
- Aromatics (onion, carrots, apples, herbs, etc)
- Melted Butter - 1 stick
Begin thawing your turkey well in advance; in the refrigerator it takes 24 hrs for every 4-5 lbs.
I understand that by the time you find this article, it may be too late. ;) It is safe to cook a turkey from frozen. Just account for 50% longer roasting time for a completely frozen turkey and around 25% longer for a partially frozen turkey.
Preparing Your Turkey
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Dry your Thanksgiving turkey with a paper towel, then season inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Fill your turkey with aromatics, such as onion, carrots, apples and herbs.
- Place in a roasting pan breast-side up and brush with melted butter.
Cooking Your Turkey
- Tent with foil and roast for 2.5 hours for a 12- to 14-pound turkey. (Add an extra 15 minutes per pound for larger birds.)
- Remove the foil, brush again with melted butter and crank the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roast for another hour or until the meat at the thigh registers 165 degrees F. Let it rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.