- (4-5 cups) Northern or Navy Beans
- (1) Onion
- (2 cloves) Minced Garlic
- (2 tablespoons) Italian Seasoning
- (to taste) Salt
- (to taste) Pepper
- (1) Smoked Ham Hock
- I like to soak my beans first. Take your beans and put them in a large pot. I used both northern and navy beans because that's what I had in the pantry. Cover the beans with water and let soak for several hours. This can help make the beans easier to digest. Mine soaked for about 8 hours. Halfway through, I poured the water off and added new water. Keep an eye on the beans, sometimes, they can soak up all the water.
- Once your beans are finished soaking, pour off the water.
- Add your ham hock chopped onion, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning.
- Cover with water
- Place pot on stove and simmer on medium heat for 2-3 hours or until beans are soft. You may need to add a couple cups of water here and there as liquid evaporates.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Your hock should be tender enough to pull chunks of meat off of it. But, if you just want to eat the beans, that's just fine too! Enjoy!