- (2 1/2 - 3 cups) Shredded Duck
- (1/3 cup) Butter
- (1/3 cup) Flour
- (1/3 cup) Chopped Onion
- (1/2 teaspoon) Salt
- (1/4 teaspoon) Pepper
- (1 3/4 cups) Broth
- (2/3 cup) Milk
- (1 bag) Frozen Veggies
- (2 cups) Flour (for crust)
- (2 teaspoons) Sugar (for crust)
- (1 1/4 teaspoon) Salt (for crust)
- (2/3 cup) Oil of choice (for crust)
- (3 tablespoons) Milk (for crust)
I had never cooked duck before, and I kept telling myself I needed to but was always slightly intimidated. Let me tell ya; it can be super easy! I used a four-pound whole duck and cooked it in the crock pot. I let it cool, then pulled the meat off and shredded it. Pretty simple!
- Start with a thawed whole duck and cook it in the crock pot on low for 7-8 hours. Once finished cooking, let cool. Pull meat off and shred. I pulled the cooked skin off to save for later. I also saved some jiggly broth and the bones to make more broth. If you want to make broth, put the carcass back in your crock pot and cover it with water, herbs, and garlic cloves. Let cook on low overnight or throughout the day. Strain and refrigerate. Voila! So yummy 😋
- Now for the crust! Instead of oil, I used bacon grease because that's what I had on hand.
Combine all dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix until it forms a ball. Don't overwork the dough. Press 2/3 of the dough in a 9-inch pie pan, and save the other 1/3 for the crumble on top.
- Rinse frozen veggies in cold water to separate.
- Preheat oven to 425 Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour, onions, salt, and pepper. Cook, constantly stirring, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in broth and milk, adding them in gradually and allowing the mixture to thicken a little before adding more liquid. Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute.
- Stir in duck and veggies and remove from heat. Pour duck mixture into your pie pan. Depending on the exact size of your pie pan, it may really fill it up. Mine is shallow, so it was a full pie! If you don't want that much filling in your pie, you can hold some back.
- Take the leftover third of the pie crust, and add one teaspoon of Italian seasoning. Mix together. Crumble and sprinkle on top of pot pie.
- Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown.
*Recipe note: I didn't have any broth on hand, so I took some of the jiggly broth from the crockpot and added water to it to thin it out. Chicken broth will work great if you don't want to mess with this!